Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Operator Error


The only problem with the car: ME
Originally uploaded by The Put-Man.


Usually when I'm at work I turn my cell phone off. Yesterday and today I've had it on, constantly buzzing, as I eagerly await news on my poor wounded car.

At 12:55, the call came. "Stop by the shop, we need to see you."

This didn't sound good.

Pucker factor: 8.5

So, I took my lunch break and drove to the shop where I could face the music as soon as possible. Possible scenarios in my head ranged from a cracked block to a mechanic's mistake ruining the aluminum head. After all, if they'd called me in...it MUST be serious, right? It's pretty easy for them to get me to authorize the spending of big-repair-bucks over the phone.

Right.

I pull in, and he directs me under my car which is up on a lift. He points to the front passenger corner of the engine block, to the two empty bolt holes where I recently removed the air conditioning compressor.

"These holes are wide open, and leaking", he says.

I point to my cheesey-temp-bolt in the exhaust manifold.

"Isn't it leaking from here?" I ask.

"No, just from these empty holes you left here".

Good thing I didn't throw those bolts away...

No comments: