Search This Blog

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Not Sure Why The Gods Despise Me


Totally Screwed
Originally uploaded by The Put-Man.


Six weeks ago, I briefly experienced a Fiat-Free lifestyle when Bella unexpectedly died. I didn't need to spend money on another Fiat, that's for sure. Certainly not right away, I could have taken some time to let Bella's memory fade. I didn't HAVE to go to FFO this year, or I could have even gone WITHOUT a Fiat. The money really "should" have gone to other things.

However, I had this crazy idea, and I wanted to follow through with it. I'm 40 this year, and I'd gotten so tired these last few years of NOT doing things, telling myself I'd get to them "someday", right now I'd be "responsible". When DOES someday come? Turning 40 was a real bite in the ass, and responsibility be damned, I was taking a Spider to show off at FFO this year.

So, I bought this friggin’ car. It looked pretty good, and people I respect in my Fiat club vouched for the car. It seemed to run well, and indeed - I was a happy clam when I got it home. Not perfect, it had what I thought were just a few issues with appearance, and I'd tweak those before grandly motoring off to FFO. Then I took it to Giovanni.

He said it was junk, and that he'd not have recommended I buy it. I was outraged, and took my car back without his shop having done anything. But I knew it wasn't running quite right, and even my deaf ears could hear evidence of the worn bearings and other maladies he'd spoken of. Giovanni may have come across a bit rude, and he never followed up with the prices to fix anything - but I knew my car needed every ounce of the attention he'd listed out for me.

Then the water pump went out on me. Wrenching began. Wrenching continued. As I have dug into this car these past few weeks, my eyes have been opened. EVERY major system on this car has been previously worked on, some completely re-done, and in most cases in an incomplete or half-assed way.

The front suspension needs to be rebuilt with all new bushings, and will then need a complete alignment. The transmission needs either a complete rebuild, or an outright replacement. Several major components of the rear suspension need replacement. All the bushings need to be replaced. All brake hoses need replacement, as do the shocks. The tires, even the spare, are all junk. The oil pan, and main oil pickup need replacement. An undetermined major issue on the front of the engine causes the timing belt to ride incorrectly. The body was majorly repaired in several areas, none were done very well, and the incorrect paint color was applied poorly. Interior carpets are incorrect, extremely cheap, and totally the wrong color. The center console is a cheaply painted glue-on replacement cover. The engine seems to run smoothly, but has bearing and tappet noises, and it misses roughly above 4k. Several so-called “minor” issues on the engine are a very big deal to me - a stripped exhaust manifold bolt causes a major gushing oil leak, and a broken lower bolt hole on the coolant "T" housing makes for a questionable seal to the entire cooling system. The car's electrical system is...clearly in need of professional help, and has a LOT of evidence of previous repair attempts.

It's awful.

Not once single damn thing is as it should be.

...and now I can't even drive it.

That, at least, used to make the rest of it nearly bearable.

No comments: