Search This Blog

Saturday, October 03, 2015

We manage what we measure


Have you heard that old saying, "We manage what we measure?"

It's trite, but true.  If we can't (or won't) measure something, how could we possibly manage it to a better outcome?

In my professional life, I just happen to be working on a project dealing with "reporting metrics".  We are developing KPI's, or, "Key Performance Indicators."  These metrics will tell us how specific functions in our department are measuring up.  

Wouldn't it be interesting to apply the same principle to our personal lives?  What would YOUR personal "KPI Dashboard" show you?  

How much you have in your bank accounts, 401k, credit cards, and mortgage debt?  Does it give you a gauge on how long you'll have to work before you can retire?  These metrics are easily defined & can be measured, reported, and "trended" fairly easily - but how many of us actually do it?

The same is true of our health - our PHYSICAL health, instead of our FISCAL health.  After all, what good is our cash savings if we won't live to spend it???

Now, I know that measuring our personal health statistics won't always give an accurate gauge of how long we'll live - but how many of us even know the most basic health info about ourselves?

What's your blood pressure?  What was it 5 or 10 years ago?  Are you trending well? What about the same trend analysis for your resting heart rate, or how quickly your heart rate returns to resting level after being elevated to 70% capacity?  How many of us even know what a heart rate of 70% capacity means - or what our heart rate is at that level?

That level, and more importantly, the time it takes to RECOVER (back down to resting) is a great indicator of general health, which correlates to lower mortality.

Now, I know it's not fun to talk about mortality rates, and where each of us score on that curve - but sticking our heads in the sand won't help either.

I'm fat.  Fat enough to be called "Morbidly Obese."  I may be down 120lbs, but I'm also still 100lbs from the magical weight where I'll still be considered "Obese".  That's a tough road to continue traveling, but I also know that it's a number that paints an incomplete picture.

For instance, I rode my bike 70 miles this week, with 50 of that in the last THREE days!  And this morning I don't feel wrecked, sore, or damaged.  THAT is an indicator of GREATLY improved health - especially when you look at me a year ago.  When I couldn't even jog up a flight of stairs!

How do I measure that?  What's my trending?  How do I show this on a dashboard???

I know I'm pushing a boulder uphill, and some days are better than others, but I truly feel it's important to measure where we are, know what that means, and to celebrate our 'wins'.  Maybe, disappointingly, not everything is an easy number to graph - but we all know when we have a big "win".

So - what are YOU winning at?

No comments: