Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Just Happy To Be Here


Towards the back
Originally uploaded by The Put-Man.


Saturday: FFO day two

Friday morning's cruise to Frankenmuth turned out GREAT. We took small twisty, turny roads on the way up, had lunch there, and ripped down the highway on the way home.

Azzie seemed happy to be back at speed, and I was THRILLED.

After getting back to the hotel late Friday afternoon, I had time to wash her in the blazing sun, then I had to hustle off to the showers before dinner.

Dinner was across the street from the hotel, and we must have had 150 people in there at 5 or so VERY long tables. The restaurant did a great job keeping everything moving, and the food was DARN good. The best part though, again, was the people. Jim from Ireland, Ron from Missouri, and my new friends from Canada - Dominick, and his two sons. The black Spider they brought to FFO is an AMAZING restoration done by Andy's Spiders in Ontario.

Someday when I win the lottery, THAT is where I'll take Azzie to be reborn!

After dinner, there was an unofficial party in the hotel parking lot. Everyone was waxing, polishing, and adding the finishing touches to their cars, while checking out the competition, visiting with old friends, making new friends, and of course, drinking beer.

Saturday morning came WAY too early.

I met a few people from my West Michigan group for breakfast, and then we all went out to our cars to form up for the drive to St. Mary's college where the day's events would transpire.

Seeing all the cars lined up for the big panoramic photo was VERY cool.

Seeing all the cars parked under the trees in "the quad" was amazing.

Suddenly, I noticed people leaving. Where had the time gone? I hadn't seen all the cars, hadn't had a chance to meet people I'd wanted to shake hands with...

Before leaving we got a cool picture with just our cars from our group. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped for gas, and some guy in a crummy old van came tearing up.

"Where did all these Fiats come from?", he asked, looking at our cars with a big smile.

"We were just at a Fiat car show", was the answer.

"Really? WOW! I wish I'd know...I'm putting an old Spider back together, and I never see any others around!"

We all knew exactly how he felt, and gave him some info on the club. Talk about the un-lucky...he feels all alone in his Fiat quest, and he had just missed the National Club Meet right across the street.

Back at the Hotel, we met another guy who had randomly found us. He had TWO 850's at home in various stages of functionality, and he looked around the parking lot like he was going to cry.

I knew just how he felt, and I felt a bit guilty, as I couldn't wipe the happy grin of my face - because I MADE IT TO FREAK OUT!

...of course, it only took me 9 years...

No comments: