Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Dumb, adorable, stupid little dog

Clyde's entire life (nearly 12 years) has been peppered with 'episodes' of high tummy acid, causing him to maniacally gulp, lick, and eat - to the point of not noticing or caring that other things are happening. He swallows so much air that his belly gets distended, and he burps & barfs an awful foamy mix powerful enough to make me consider owning a cat.

The danger, and often repeated visit to the Vet, is what he ingests during the episode. In an early episode, he ate a wood base-board. He ate carpet a few times, a wooden dog crate once, and several plush toys. I learned (the hard way) that he could never, ever be left alone outside his crate, no matter how well behaved or housebroken he was. I learned (the hard way) he could never ever have anything in the crate with him. I learned (the hard way) he needed to always be in a metal crate.

His episodes were unpredictable. He might not have one for a year, or even 18 months, but it'll come. The next one might be later that day, next week, or months down the road.

I never figured out a trigger, never found a pattern, never had any way of predicting or preventing it.

Most Vet's would listen to my description of symptoms, shrug, and give trite, meaningless advice - clearly thinking the issue was all in MY head.

My greatest fear was always towels. He once shredded one legthwise, and started trying to swallow a 3 foot long strip! I was convinced that one day he'd choke himself. So, I was vigilant.

Then ... we got Cyrus. Cyrus didn't have any of these issues, but since we always put Clyde in a crate, Cyrus went too. But I thought it'd be ok to give the skinny boy a towel!

Leave it to Clyde! In his most recent episode, he managed to stealthily spit out the Pepcid AC, I gave him, and he acted fine enough in his crate that I left him unattended, thinking the worst was behind us. Little did I know, his episode flared up, and the little booger managed to grab a corner of Cyrus' towel! He pulled it through, and managed to eat about 2/3 of it - which you can see in the picture above, (what the Vet removed during surgery), in the dog bowl.

Poor guy is recovering...

No comments: