Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Of Olives, Martini's, and Guinness...


Best Bartender EVER
Originally uploaded by The Put-Man
No matter how well my Health & Fitness program is going, sometimes I just need a damn drink.

Alcohol, of course, isn't usually listed as an "approved item" on a diet's authorized food list.

...so...

I improvise!

The best choice is a Vodka Tonic, made with Diet Tonic. Easy rule of thumb - clear liquor is zero carb, brown is NOT. The diet Tonic isn't "too bad" tasting, and technically, made this way, the drink is zero-carb. It tastes a LOT better with a lime wedge squeezed in it, but that adds to the carb-count, even if only incrementally. I purchase my Diet Tonic at Dominick's, and my favorite bartender keeps it available behind the bar as my own "Private Stock". I tip her very well, and she takes excellent care of me. (Circle of life)

Next best is the Vodka Martini. Dry (no vermouth), made dirty, dirty, FILTHY, dirty! (That's just salty Olive Juice!) Best with Blue Cheese stuffed Olives, but that requires a certain level of dedication in your favorite bartender. Flavor by soaking. Tip accordingly.

Last on the list is a favorite - Guinness. Nearly as low-carb as some beers advertised exclusively that way, it also has protein & vitamins! Practically health food, you know?

All things in moderation, though. Otherwise it's hard to say "no" when the twenty-somethings order shots, and next thing you know it's 2am and you're at IHOP ordering pancakes with syrup.

No comments: