Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2015

No you don't...



Recently, while I was pumping gas, a guy walking by commented on my sunglasses, saying, "Nice shades Dude, I have a pair just like 'em!"

No, you don't.

I don't mean to be rude or condescending, but ... 

No.  You.  Don't.

Today I was reading a bit on the interwebs, and an article caught my eye, but not for the content.  There was a picture of Father John Misty wearing shades ALMOST like mine.

You see, even celebrities can't duplicate MY style!

How is this possible, you ask?

Well, it all started a few years ago (2008-ish?), when I was feeling the sting of seeing 40 in the rearview mirror.  One of several things I began to work on was my personal style.

I could write a whole article on what I tried, what failed, and what I'm still struggling with today; however, I've had a few nice wins, and my sunglasses are one of those.

Since the '80's, I've always worn classic aviators or variations on Wayfarers.  I had a brief & unfortunate dalliance with technical / performance sunglasses, but when I was ready to redefine my style, I knew I had to stay true to my roots.

Enter Moscot.  They are an old brand, which turned 100 this year.  One of the designs in the "Originals" collection that particularly appealed to me was the "Lemtosh".  Similar in profile to Wayfarers, they have the classic keyhole nose opening, with a rounder look to the eyes.

But I didn't want something "off the shelf", I wanted a uniquely classic look.  After trying frames in both the clear & blonde, I had a brainwave.  Both were "good", but not "great", until I swapped the arms for a nice two-tone look I'd had in a previous pair of cheapie "cheater" glasses.

Now, I just had to decide how to utilize two nearly identical frames!  Figuring that one pair should become sunglasses, the other pair easily became readers.  I chose to put the tinted lenses in the clear frames, so that the clear reading lenses would be in the darker frames - continuing the contrasting look for both pairs.

For the sunglasses, I looked at more than a dozen shades of green lenses, eventually going with a lighter, classic Ray Ban - perfect for overcast, dreary days, yet still good enough for full summer sun.

The result is an updated classic, unlikely to be copied, or go out of style.

Let's hope I don't lose them... 

No comments: