Search This Blog

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Donating all my old clothes

I've had to shop exclusively at Big & Tall stores for more than 15 years. The selection is poor, the quality terrible, and the prices are punitive.

After years of trial & error, I have found some great sources for certain items, but quality comes at a price. My monogrammed Land's End oxford cloth button down shirts were NOT cheap, but I got them in 2005, and they're still in great shape!

It took me SO long to find, afford, and collect a decent wardrobe...it makes me anxious & sick to load it all into cheap black plastic garbage bags & give it away.

It's just that none of this fits anymore. It's crowding my closet & chest of drawers, making it tough to organize & find the few things that still fit.

I need to clear out the past, physically & mentally.

Mentally, this is really hard for me. For SO long, I just couldn't afford any of this. My Mom bought a lot of it for me. The suit I wore to my Dad's funeral. The Fiat t-shirts came from seven years of epic road trips.

This is surprisingly hard for me...and I know I should be happy that my weight loss requires new clothes...but it brings up old feelings & memories, and the fear that someday I might need all of this and I'll regret the day I donated it all.

So, a deep breath, and a last goodbye. Giving it away to those who need it more than me is a commitment to myself, my health, and I should celebrate my success, right?

I just wish it didn't make me so sad...

11 pairs of dress pants
19 pairs of khakis
9 pairs of jeans
24 long sleeve dress shirts
13 short sleeve dress shirts
21 polo shirts
28 t-shirts
4 pairs of shorts
1 suit

No comments: