Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

...but where do we go from here?



Taking this as the pre-concept:

 

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/12/07/forging-habits-of-steel-7-tips-on-making-and-breaking-habits/

 

So…it takes 60 days to make a new habit stick?  That's about two months, and that immediately means to me that I can ("should" being another question) set a goal for 2011 of six new habits.  What would those habits be?  I will track these 'Seinfeld style', and my theme shall be 'Healthy Body / Healthy Mind'.  These are a bit tougher than previous year's goals, though, as these should be DAILY habits…not items done just once a week, or twice a month.

 

1.       Far-Parking & Stairs – as of Day #1 in The New Office, I'd like to take that brilliant opportunity to set a new, and very difficult habit.  First is finding & using the furthest parking spot from the front door, secondarily, always using the stairs.  Up AND down!

2.       Early to bed, Early to rise – 9pm to 5am - a good wintertime habit, I'd like to find an hour of productive 'personal-time' in the morning before work.

3.       Six new books – it's too easy for me to pick up a book off my own bookshelf & spend a week or two 'visiting with old friends', so I'd like to embrace my newly-found Public Library, become active in the book club, and read 6 new books in 2011 that I ordinarily wouldn't.  I will read for 30 minutes each night before bed, and for an hour of Sunday 'relaxation-time'.

4.       Fiscal Fitness – I will contain, manage, and build my fiscal well-being.  I will set & do daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial goals & reviews.

5.       Snappy Dresser – I will dress nicely, every day.  Yes, I know it sounds silly, but I believe it adds a good bit of self confidence for me.  Yes, even weekends!  Improving sartorial standards!

6.       Puppy-Walks – good for him, good for me.  A minimum of the half-mile round-the-block, I'd prefer to do the longer-loop of 1.5 miles.  Not sure how to designate this as a 'daily-check-box'…

7.       Daily Atkins – follow the points, eliminate the caffeine, drink the water…

8.       Writing – daily/weekly/monthly postings on all this progress (or lack thereof) & the evolution of the project over the next year – this could be less of a 'goal' and just how I make it all 'accountable' by publishing it on a blog or some-such.

 

I'm thinking that these don't lend themselves easily to staggered starts throughout the year.  They are each things I'd like to do very consistently on a daily basis until they become part of my subconscious routine.  


How do I build-in quarterly benchmarks, or goals?  The Books & Fiscal goals easily lend themselves into 'measurable goals' over time, but what about the others?  Perhaps I should think about how each one could lead towards something?

No comments: