Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

An asshole in the morning

My Dad would often use a parable to make a point.  Lately I've been thinking of a particular one, and it's made me realize that The Old Man is still taking me to school, even though he's been gone more than 20 years.

The first time I heard this one, I'm pretty sure I was a moody teenager, and Dad was trying to get me to pay attention without simply barking orders.  He said that sometimes when you get up in the morning and head to work, sometimes you bump into an asshole.  You do the best you can, and at the end of the day hopefully you didn't let that one moment affect your whole day.  But sometimes you bump into an Asshole in the morning, and then you continue bumping into asshole after asshole all damn day.  At the end of THAT day, you have to be honest with yourself – were YOU the asshole that day

My fear is that I've been the asshole lately.  While I've had some legit shit going on – I need to be better about not letting external crap affect me.  If I let external crap create a habit of negativity and complaining  – that's a bigger issue.  After all, while we can't control events around us, we CAN control our reactions. 

No comments: