Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

'Nice' people, who really frustrate me

Today one team in our cube farm brought in baked goods & sweets.

They do this sometimes for a birthday, a promotion, or perhaps a project's completion - the individual 'victory' is inconsequential, it's the 'celebration' that follows a standard path: Fresh donuts, homemade cookies, and a sprinkling of store bought sweets are the usual players, with a token fruit platter (covered in chocolate and/or powdered sugar) that inevitably gets tossed. An email will get sent out early in the morning, but around 9 or 10am a do-gooder on the team will wander the floor, encouraging everyone to eat processed flour & sugar. Have you ever noticed how the people pushing the baked treats are never the thin & fit people in the office? Not exactly the crowd from whom I buy the whole "just one won't hurt" justification. I think somehow they feel better about their own life choices when they get other people to cave in - it validates their own choices, and while they have nothing but good intentions, I find it maddening.

Where I'm disappointed in myself is that I caved. I usually avoid these treat-pushing people & their crack like the plague, and I (almost) always try to pro-actively eat my healthy choices well beforehand - not being hungry makes it easier to stay on-plan. However, today I'd not had breakfast, I was hungry, and I caved.

Twice!

The chocolate chip cookies with M&M's caught my eye - the bright rainbow of colors didn't indicate any true sort of healthy triggers, as nature intended for Blueberries, Bananas, or Tomatoes ... no ... it was a trigger for refined white sugar & refined white flour.

I felt guilty, even as my mouth rejoiced & my brain lit up with happiness. I instantly had a nearly overwhelming desire for M O R E !

I was pissed at myself for caving, so I offset that anger onto the people who kindly bake & stop for donuts. That's not fair - it was my own choice to put two cookies in my own pie-hole.

Since I was now craving 'mass quantities', I went for a walk around the building, and I stopped in at the office cafeteria. I had one plain hamburger patty, just to give my body a protein hit, and to get my tummy feeling satiated & chewing on something 'real'. 90 minutes later I had a late lunch - a nice salad, with half my usual serving of grilled chicken. I then did a second & third lap of the building, and I blocked time on my calendar to ensure I can hit Aqua Fit tonight.

I'm mad at myself for caving, but I'm also somewhat pleased to see that my usual plans work well for very valid reasons. It's also very powerful for me to be able to walk away & redirect my off-plan adventure back into known territory.

I guess not all losses are negative...???


-Lee
-----------------
R. Lee Putman, Jr.

Email:
leeputmanjr@mac.com

Phone / Text: 847.687.7291

No comments: