Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Contenders


Contenders
Originally uploaded by The Put-Man.

Have I been Spider Hunting? Indeed I have...

These are the two leading contenders:

The pretty blue one is an '83 Fuel Injected 2000 cc Spider. It came with air conditioning, a CD player, has the more modern center console, tail lights, bumpers, rims, and even has the cool side mirrors that are mounted on the wing-windows. A very 80's design, a very cool car, very powerful engine, and I can get it CHEAP (2k), and it will require very little work (money) to get it "great". An instant "driver". However, it's not the earlier vintage model I love, and it has the stupid safety bumpers I hate. It'd be a great car...but it's not my "dream" model Spider.

The ugly two-tone Spider is a '72 single carb 1600 cc - the exact model of my very first-ever Spider. THIS is the classic design I love! DAMN the idiot who did the crappy paint job! It's been in storage a while, brakes don't work, runs roughly. It's more expensive - $3300 - and it'll need work right away to be a "driver". But in the long run, it'd be a better ownership experience - it's the one I really want.

Besides, the ownership experience of these cars is all about it being a hobby. If I wanted a bland car you just got in, turned the key and drove to point "B" with good gas mileage...well, then...I'd buy a Honda.

However, as of yet, I have not actually SEEN either one of these cars. The ugly '72 is in a garage somewhere in downtown Chicago, and I "might" get to see it tonight. Owned by a young couple, it was in HER family for a long time, they don't know much about it, and they are moving to Boise to buy and run a new business. The Husband is selling it - and he hasn't had 30 free minutes in 2 weeks to show it to me. Supposedly he flies in tonight, will call me, and we can get together. I'm taking a fist full of cash, just in case. I could care less about the paint & brakes - the car is complete...so as long as there is no rust, it's MINE. I'll hand him $2500 and ask, "Deal?"

I have an appointment Saturday around noon to see the '83. As it's my second choice, and 2.5 hours away, I only made this appointment as a back-up should the car tonight not work out. The '83 may not be my dream car, but if I'm not immediately buying another Spider, it's too good a deal to pass up.

I, of course, will keep you posted.

No comments: